Welcome Forums Playlists A mix and its indredients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Streed_303
    Participant

We’ve been getting quite a few ‘Mix-CD’ in lately and they have their merits. First, they are a great way to showcase various artists on one CD. Whether you recognize the the DJ/producer who is credited for putting together the compilation; you recognize / or like a certain song; or you are looking to explore a certain genre. Mix CDs can offer this.

Also, with the ‘forward progress’ of technology, now practically anyone can make their own compilation and burn it themselves( I guess the mix-tape is now a colloquism). So, especially in the world of ‘commercially available’ Mixed compilations, the bar has been significantly raised! A ‘Superstar DJ’
    cannot get away with simply blending a bunch of tracks. Original production, exclusive remixes, and unavailable tracks are nessecary to produce such a product nowadays. On recent comps by The Glimmers, we can hear some original productions and that wonderful dubbed out version of Chicago’s “Im A Man” – I didn’t know Peter Cetera could be so funky! Of course, you have the Cirque Du Soliel Comp… Talk about exclusivity! remixing tracks used in their live shows; that s original!

So, we have another mix-CD come down the pike. The latest release “Community Service II” by the Crystal Method. If you are familiar with their stuff, you will like this. Right from the get-go it is packed with wonderful breakbeat energy! Plus, to up the ante, there are a few exclusives… There is a unique remix of The Door’s “Roadhouse Blues” which sounds like it was built up from the accapella. Also, a great breakbeat version of the New Order classic ‘Bizarre Love Triangle’, A version of the Smashing Pumpkin’s ‘1979’, and a redux of The Crystal Method’s classic “Keep Hope Alive”. So, yeah… The bar has definately been raised!

Speaking of the Cirque, we have some vinyl of a few tracks featured on the mix comp previously mentioned. Louie Vega’s remixes of ‘Emballa’ as well as Francois K / Eric Kupper remixes of ‘Aborigenies Jam’ are avail on 12″ for your own mixing creation pleasure.

I am not sure what other people / DJs reaction to the Curtis Mayfield remixes that came out a few months back; but Rhino is moving forth in that trend of remixing classic tracks (they came out with “Everybody Dance” a few years back) with Atlantiquity. So far, we have a teaser 12″ with a King Britt remix of Chic’s ‘Warm Summer Night’ and a Waajeed remix of Faze-O’s “Riding High”.

And lastly, I should mention, some more hybrid electronic / world offerings. Personally, I don’t understand the idea of such a juxtoposition. I guess its just me, I don’t think synthesizers and sitars, or Akai MPCs should be jamming with log drums. I guess those who are into ‘future-primative’ type things might think this sort of thing is the greatest.

I can understand, in the early days of electronic instruments, you had synths like the VCS3 (any Pink Floyd fan knows the sound of this) which didn’t have a traditional keyboard. It allowed the player to explore different techniques. And of course, we can’t forget Roland’s classic TR and TB line of Rhythm composers and ‘bass’ sequencers. It wasn’t intentional, but these devices do allow you explore non traditional structures and harmonies. Yes, you argue the likes of Bill Laswell (freakin’ genious!) but to me, he more or less blurs genres and creates his own universe. Anyway…

So, in that case, check out the latest offerings by Midival Punditz (Midival Times) and Cheb i Sabbah / La Kahena (Les Voix Du Maghreb) both on Six Degrees records…

http://www.sixdegreesrecords.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.